A friend of mine popped me an idea about writing a post about how 6 people, 6 different personalities, managed to heap into 1 campervan and travel around New Zealand for 15 days. Basically, 3 Boys 3 Girls 1 Campervan 1 Road Trip.
It was quite an adventure I must admit..
Parking by the side of the coast at Omaru
Things you never thought would matter crops up:
- Coordinating timings to pack bags in our cramp spaces
- Varying takes of how spaghetti should be arranged in the very small cupboard
- Empty orange juice glasses in the sink with varying tolerance levels of when it was a good time to wash.
- Crawling, climbing and squeezing past each other to navigate around the vehicle
- Vehicle overweight with too much water!
And the list goes on…
We kick start the trip from Christchurch airport on Christmas Eve 2014. After our very long check-in and orientation of our vehicle, the ’on the go ’ toilet and its waste disposal procedures, we were on our way to ….…the grocery store!
We bought tons of food and gallons of water
Packing and storing! It was a jam/ bottleneck going in and out the 1 small door
Grocery shopping was real fun and we had 2 truckloads of food to stuff into our ’already very packed’ and not to mention overweight vehicle.
After forming some sort of a factory line system, we got our dry foods and juices and random things like protein shakes all stuffed into every available space in the! ‘kitchen’ and ‘kitchen floor’, which was also right next to the boys ‘bedroom’.
And we are on the go to our first destination!
Our first campervan site – near Mount Cook. Spot our little caravan/ motorhome rental amidst a backdrop of jaw-dropping mountainous scenery
Most camping sites require you to book in advance during peak periods. However, there are always ways to save some costs and park at free places, just like my pals from Vicigo who did that in USA.
Anyway, some tips to make your campervan/ rv trip the best possible with the buddies you have.
3 Boys 3 Girls 1 Campervan 1 Road Trip
1. You in your small corner, and I in mine
Always compromise and accommodate. Everyone needs to feel comfortable and relax at some point of time because we are pretty much in this thing for all 15 days, so find a good spot in the campervan that you can call your own.
My gals cam-whoring at the back of the New Zealand RV
2. Take turns to drive and try not to scare your friends
It works wonders.
And…don’t wash your salad down the sink unless you want to choke it and have the whiff of rotting vegetation following you the rest of the road trip.
3 Boys 3 Girls 1 Campervan 1 Road Trip
What to do in ‘New Zealand ? Find out about the affordable and unaffordable activities here
3. A list of things you must get for ever New Zealand RV trip:
- Toilet deodorant spray to kill the smell
- Bug spray for the hundred of moths that
likesto fly in toyour cosy cabin
- S Hooks to hang the dozen and one
thingsyou may have ( clothes, towels, etc)
- Sweets to keep your driver AND co-driver awake
- DVD of Lord of the rings and the soundtrack to add to the mood of driving through ‘middle earth’
- Selfie stick to take the most random of things from outside your vehicle window
- CAMERA!! Stop, smell the lavenders and spam photos
To conclude, get to know your pals before your trip and don’t worry too much. Prepare to enjoy and make the best of it!
CARAVAN TIP ALERT:
Should you be keen to compare some options for campervan/ caravan rental for New Zealand and Australia, feel free to check out Drive A Campervan for the biggest range of motorhome rental vehicles – Maui, Britz, Apollo, Mighty, Kiwi and more!
Shall end the 3 Boys 3 Girls 1 Campervan 1 New Zealand Road Trip story here!
Suggestions on Hiking Trails to Take in New Zealand
- Kepler Trek
This trek is an incredibly scenic hiking trail not to be missed in NZ as you go about in your campervan ride. If you only have very limited time in NZ in the South Island and have to pick only 1 of the many stunning NZ Great Walks, this Kepler Trek & the Milford Trek are voted the best 2 hiking trails which has a good blend of scenic yet not too daunting for a beginner to an intermediate hiker (of all ages).
- Milford Sound Trek
- Corromandel Peninsula
- Lake Tekapo
- Heaphy Track
- Routeburn Track
- Queen Charlotte Trek
- Tongariro Northern Circuit in North Island
- Dusky Track
Other countries great for Campervan Trips
- Slovenia Bled Lake
- America Arizona and Other National Parks
- Australia Great Ocean Road
- Salto Sea, California
- Monument Valley on the Utah/Arizona